Sunday, March 14, 2004 at 7:35 p.m. |
Today my editor offered up a phrase which made me giddy with pride and flushed with relief. "That's a really good story," he said.

The most feared part of my day, other than showing up and not knowing what kind of assignment they're going to give me at the Sun, is that period between 4pm and 6pm when the editor gives the thumbs up on your work and you're free to rejoin the rest of society.

I've been there as last as 8pm before. You don't want to do this.

Instead, I try to have my copy in by about 4pm, just in time for the editorial afternoon meeting (which I don't go to, I surf the net instead). That way when he gets back he can look at it and if there's anything REALLY wrong with the thing I can go and fix it. It's very stressful.

But he liked my work today. Not that he normally doesn't, but the praise came as a welcome relief. I'm not sure why I care, but I do.

If you're wondering, I had to cover the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Toronto. It wasn't too bad except for the float that was an actual working bar (bottles, glasses, even a mini putt course), and the walking cans of Guiness. Yes, people dressed up as cans of Guiness. No, they weren't throwing out free samples.

It was REALLY damn cold. I couldn't hold my pen and once it started snowing my pad got all wet. That wasn't very cool. Still, it was towards the end and I got what I needed. I think. See, that's terrible too. Even though you ask and they tell you, you can NEVER be sure you have what an editor wants.

Which brings me to the moral of this story: ALL EDITORS ARE ASSHOLES. This includes yourselves as editors. This includes me as an editor. It's just a simple truth.

As for the story, it's scheduled to run tomorrow on page 2 or 3 with a likely teaser on the front cover. Not bad positioning overall.

But my article got a bit of praise. Nice.

And I didn't really like it. Isn't that always the way it is?

Head to The Sun tomorrow to read it.
Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum