Monday, June 26, 2006 at 2:44 p.m. |
BrodySometimes you grow up.

It sneaks up on you when you least expect it. If you're wise enough, you can catch moments, coyly referred to in films as "coming of age" when you're able to spot the exact time and place when life changes, for better or worse, and you ride the current to see where it takes you.

For me, this was the weekend of lost friends. Not permanently scratched out of my life, but the roles in which they played so crucial a part for so long suddenly seemed dimmer and less vibrant than they had before.

Brody stopped by Toronto as part of a charter flight he was working on. He managed to send me an email as he forgot my phone number and we met up for a quick lunch. Though he didn't seem to realize it, more than two years had passed since we last saw each other.

I remember the last time clearly. Brody brought me into the city from Guelph. He had a huge monstrosity of a car that seemed more Star Destroyer than automobile. He boasted that a whole twin mattress could be crammed into the back. He stepped into our apartment and gave his approval. Then showed me the sonogram of his daughter, Rory.

Now she's two. Brody and his girlfriend, Lisa, have just had their second baby. Another girl. Named Brie.

My friend is gone.

The man who sat across the table from me was undoubtably older. He had the lines on the face that I remembered identifying in my youth as 'older' or 'responsible'. He looked like a father. It looks good on him. He flies out of Timmins quite often and has a house on a lake where his daughters can play. He doesn't have cable, use the internet, and his Xbox is gathering dust.

Only one or two mentions of 'the old days' crept in, which I was glad for, but I couldn't help but feel a touch sad that my friend, the one I knew so well, was gone. In his place was someone older and more mature, someone I wish I knew better.

I wonder if I'll ever see him again.

I saw Jer earlier that morning. I hadn't seen him in more than a month. He and Megan are moving in together and I didn't even know about it. I'm quite proud that Jer has found a path that suites him so well and a partner that complements him. Despite that, I feel a little sad and a touch of shame that I haven't made more effort to see a friend only 20 minutes away.

But I know what life is like.

Aaron with a beaver at the Toronto ZooThe next day I saw Aaron. We made plans for the four of us (Catherine and Christa, naturally) for us all to go to the zoo. He and Christa go so well together and it's a joy to see him so happy. There are few men that I respect more than Aaron. This is another friend I don't want to fade away, so that there are years between meetings. Yet I also know that if this were to happen, the man I know would only continue to grow and become someone to be proud of and respected.

So many friends, so many moments. I had one this weekend with Brody. My friend is gone, but doing well. Others are also doing well, though I don't get to see it with my own eyes. Tom Beisel is married and has a son named Evan. I found this out through the internet. Chris is living with Julia and her daughter. I haven't seen Chris since Christmas, Julia in seven years, and I've never met her daughter, Abby.

It feels like only moments have passed since I last saw them. Instead, it's years and hundreds of other moments, experiences, breaths, hugs, and all the things I will miss for the rest of my life.

Oh, my friends. I hope you're all well. Pushee, Alison, Cleary, Manny, Ron, Ajay, Chris, Stewart, Kristina, Brad, Lindsey, Neil, Paul Haynes, Colleen and the dozens of others.

"We hung around until the final band
Called Escape Is at Hand for The Traveling Man
You yelled in my ear this music speaks to me"

- The Tragically Hip

"A long time ago, we used to be friends
But I haven't thought of you lately at all
If ever again, a greeting I send to you,
Short and sweet to the soul is all I intend"

- The Dandy Warhols

33 actual days at work left.
Posted by Parallel

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »

8:30 a.m.  
Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum