Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 6:33 p.m. |
It's all one big job interview, isn't it? I mean, I have the job at EYE (the internship, unpaid, if you want to be specific) and yet I know there are still evaluations going on. I mean, it doesn't stop at any job no matter how long you've been there. I'm convinced everyone would be lazy if everyone else would agree to behave the same way.

Instead, I'm working hard. Well, I'm not sure about hard, but I'm working consistently. I'm much slower than I'd like to be in terms of fact checking, but unfortunately a large part of the subject matter that EYE deals in often comes by way of flyer rather than Internet posting.

Still, it's a good learning curve. I'm doing my best to sit back and watch other things going on rather than get too involved too soon. The last thing you want to do is rub people the wrong way. So I'm trying to make my fact checking as great as possible with a lot of notes before I start to feel them out for the kinds of pitches and approaches they're looking for.

The other two interns I work with are... interesting. Both guys, but each has something unique about them. The older one (still three years younger than me) may or may not be insane based on his interests and the work he's been pursuing. A nice guy, to be sure, but I need to get to know him better.

The other one is much younger, 18, and has a lot to learn. A good heart, nice smile that reminds me of Julia a lot, but his inexperience is probably not a positive thing... but still, he's here right out of high school working hard, so that says a lot about him right there.

Then there's me. I'm starting to feel more and more like the 'old guy' rather than the reasonably aged and competent individual I'd like to believe myself to be. Hopefully I can translate this into a full time job as the people here seem pretty cool, but with all jobs it's a matter of timing and people leaving.

Who knows what will happen?

But, so far so good. Monday and Tuesday are the tough days and not very tough at that. I liked Monday better though I was a bit more stressed and out of place. My fellow interns are just very quiet, something that was pointed out to me by the managing editor. I'm not a quiet person, but how do I stir them up without getting carried away?

I just don't want boring co-workers. Pushee, where are you when I need you?
Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum