Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 12:50 p.m. |
TOAD!!!TOAD!!!

It's hard to believe that I've hit my landmark 300th post already. Then again, I have been using this blog for a few years now and hopefully I've entertained and amused you, while occasionally providing bursts of damning insight into my soul.

My always helpful page-a-day calendar pointed me to this strange website the other day and I spent time looking through most (if not all) of the photos on the site because I have nothing else to do. At times funny, sometimes poignant, always strange, I thought I'd select 10 of my favorite shots to include today. I figured I might as well switch to a photo blog entry today as I've already done video, geekery, and other assorted bits of nonsense.

The first photo warns us of impending 'toad' of some sort. What kind of dire warning could this be and where did it come from? I hope someone figures it out before someone croaks. I selected it for inclusion because it's strange and I could see it becoming a group cheer of some sort down the road.

animals sick after eating you
Many of these signs seem to have to do with animals in one form or another. This sign just seems like good advice, though I know of a few people I wouldn't mind seeing go over the fence.

dog-talk signI'm glad to see that the parks department has a bit of a sense of humor. Though I can't help but wonder if this sign has a deeper meaning of sort. Perhaps like Douglas Adams and his dolphins, the dogs in this area are super-intelligent and therefore should be able to outsmart us all. I could see it happening. After all, Vancouver is rich and teaming with natural splendour, mountains, hippies, and has a Hollywood North community second only to us all. That, or maybe it's a joke to play on Americans to make them think we really do talk to our dogs.

pet exercise areaOn the other side of the coin, perhaps this sign is a warning to dogs to say away from the pet exercise area. Seriously, though, who would take their pets here? What city council approved THIS as a good area?

Signs like this, as much as they amuse me, also kind of tick me off. I wouldn't go walking through there (TICKS!) so why would I risk taking an animal I love and care for into an area to get them killed? Elaine from Seinfeld probably likes the idea but me, not so much.

people with dogs go over there
Instead, perhaps, we should follow the advice of this sign. Taken out of context, who knows what it could mean, but apparently if you're a man and you have a dog, you have to go over there. According to the subhead on the website, following the directions of the sign to the far end of the parking lot, there was an identical sign with no arrow. I don't know how long you have to wait there or what will happen if you stay for too long.

dog pooping
This sign seems to have a good suggestion on the matter. Just make sure you bring plenty of doggy bags. I hope the artist commissioned for this piece charged extra for the picture of the poop.

drunken fish kissingI don't know why, but this picture makes me think of Josh and Jer's cottage. I have no basis for this, but it just struck me as something he'd find really funny. Get drunk and apparently you dive underwater and begin to kiss fish. This hasn't happened to any of us so far as I know, but it's nice to know that, according to this sign, that it's an option.

It looks like it'd be a good party, though. You have the out of control boat, the beer, the guy who's obviously loving life, and the fish looks kind of happy with the whole thing. At least the fish is getting a kiss on the mouth and not a hook through it.

green animal eating
This photo makes me think of Catherine's brother, David. Currently teaching English in China, it's the kind of sign he's likely to come across and laugh at a lot. Considering he's sent us pictures of himself and a monkey, him holding a giant panda, and stories of receiving baby chicks as presents, it's really a smart bet that signs like this are inevitably going to follow.

one-way exit
This sign is by far my favorite. It makes me think of this job, or any job that doesn't make a person happy, and laugh my ass off. I can't believe the person who put up this sign didn't think it was odd, but apparently once you're in, you can't get out. Of course this isn't true so long as you have a hack-saw. Or Paul.

not an exitGo ahead. Want to leave? I know you do. Just try it. Look, there's an exit sign. And another one. I promise you it's an exit. Go ahead. A few more steps. OOOOHHHH... damn! Nope, not an exit. These signs were found in a hotel overseas. That's probably some poor guy's room.

So there you have it. Signs of life that point out the bizarre and humorous things that pass us by. If anyone else has pictures of signs like these or you want to start a blog of our own maybe that's something we could set up.

In the meantime, life goes on. It's lunch now and I have leftovers to eat and Veronica Mars DVDs to watch.
Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum