X-Men 3The television season has come and gone with the exception of the final episode of Battlestar Galactica, leaving me with more free time than I'd like. Then again, I'm sure I'll be plenty busy with karate, Catherine, and our three week trip to China.

That doesn't, however, kill the summer for viewing pleasures as the movies are just getting warmed up. Because I can, I'm going to quickly run down the list of a few flicks coming out this summer that I'm interested in seeing.

Tonight begins an odyssey that started more than 7 years ago when I was in university. Just before my final year and just after Catherine and I started dating, I had the chance to be in the first X-Men movie. An exciting experience that capped off with a four-hour drive from Jasper to Edmonton just to see it the next July as well as me (surprise) buying the action figures from the movie.

1. X3. Now it's time for X-Men 3: The Last Stand. By all accounts it's the weakest of the three films as it's heavy on action and unloading tons of characters, but that doesn't bother me as I know who they all are anyway. I'm particularly happy about seeing Multiple Man in action.

Code2. The Da Vinci Code. I didn't really want to see this as I wasn't terribly impressed with the book (other than the research, the plot was laughable). However, Catherine and I got free passes to see an advance screening. Despite being free, the movie still cost close to $20 in snacks. If the film industry ever complains about pirating again, I'm starting a television campaign against the high cost of popcorn.

In regards to the movie itself, free is the amount of money I would recommend you spend. Seriously, the movie is quite dull, very predictable, and most of the actors look unhappy. I've seen worse and for those of you who are curious about it go ahead and spend the cash, but otherwise it's a pass.

Cars3. Cars. I'm not terribly jazzed about the concept of this movie and the execution doesn't look to be on par for some of Pixar's previous efforts. I was totally blown away by The Incredibles and the first Toy Story is an amazing movie, but the lure of talking cars just isn't doing it for me. The voice cast seems okay (Owen Wilson, Richard Petty) and I have no doubts it'll be worth the price of admission. This will be one of the few times I go to a movie based purely on the strengths of the studio behind it. I hope to not be disappointed.

It apparently takes place in Radiator Springs and follows a young hotshot (Wilson) who dreams of making it into the big race. Standard predictable premise, but if anyone can make it worth watching, it's Pixar.

Superman Returns4. Superman Returns Everyone but me seems to be genuinely excited for this film. For some reason, I just can't get behind it. I still expect to see it, but perhaps it's because Bryan Singer left X3 to do this movie or because it completely clashes with Smallville, I'm not sure. I also don't like that Lois Lane has "moved on" or the way Brandon Routh looks. He looks like he's 12 and not at all suited to be Superman. Few are, however, and I was one of those people to retract my feelings about Michael Keaton as Batman.

You can't really argue with Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor, though. He's got a great villainous quality and the film effects look pretty spiffy.

Clerks 25. Clerks II. I'm wary of the whole thing, but Kevin Smith does dialogue well and perfected it in the original. If this is more of the same taken to yet another extreme, I'll be happy. The film promises lots of cameos by Smith veterans including Ben Affleck, Jason Lee, Ethan Suplee (My Name Is Earl), Kevin Wiseman (Alias)

The film picks up 10 years after the first one and Dante and Randal now work at a fast food joint. Typical bad service continues with a few other cast auditions to add to the hilarity. I'm expecting it to be one of Smith's better offerings.

Attached below is an internet teaser (no spoilers here) of Dante and Randal driving and talking about movie catchphrases. Good stuff.



Tomorrow, Catherine and I are going shopping for a digital camera and my Dad is coming to town. This doesn't happen often and I'm always slightly astonished when he agrees to come, so I'm actually holding off seeing X-Men until tomorrow so I can go with him. Other than that, I'm going to Blue Jays game on Sunday because they're giving away free bobble-heads and I can't resist getting free crap.
Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum