Tuesday, February 14, 2006 at 11:18 a.m. |
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usWHO WAS ST. VALENTINE?

No one knows for certain, but the leading candidate is a third-century Roman priest named Valentine. After Claudius II decreed that his soldiers were not allowed to marry, the romantic Valentine defied the emperor and performed secret wedding ceremonies—for which he was caught and imprisoned. Valentine was enamored of the jailer’s daughter and, shortly before his execution, left her a love note that was signed “From Your Valentine.” He was beheaded on February 14, 269.


I thought I should put something romantic up for Valentine's Day. There's romance for those of you in love, and a bit of gore for those of you waiting in the wings.

Events have been busy of late, but I have not posted about anything. I think it's because I hate February. It's just a very useless month in the grand scheme of things. There are some interesting days, such as Groundhog Day, Valentine's Day, and my mom's birthday, but on the whole, it's just a bland, pointless month. I'm pleased it's the shortest. I just need a good long weekend.

Speaking of weekends, last week I had my interview at York University for Teacher's College. According to one sweaty guy who looked about ready to faint, York gets more than 7000 applicants a year, interviews about 2200, and takes about a 1000 total.

I had everything prepared to the gills. If I don't get in, it won't be because I didn't do my best. In that, at least, I'm pleased.

During my interview, I was asked to prepare five minutes beforehand about what inspired me to become a teacher. One of the two people present gestured at me to begin, so I took a breath, stood up, and gave my talk.

The rest of the interview went well, and at the end, they both commented on how I was the only person they interviewed who stood up. They said it was effective and impressive. These are VERY good things to hear after an interview like this. I'm liking my chances now more than ever, but I refuse to get my hopes up. And for those of you smart-asses out there, no, I didn't mention a blow-up doll.

I was one of four guys waiting for an interview. One was the nervous guy, another was a Hell's Angel reject, and one guy, decked out in a tweed jacket and jeans, looked like he was expecting a job as a professor. The rest of the waiting room had more than twenty women waiting for an interview. Crazy.


That off my back, I can finally relax. Other amazing news is that Catherine had her review at work, and they told her that she was basically perfect (something I already knew) and gave her a hefty raise for being so great. I couldn't be more pleased, and tonight we're doing a Valentine's Day/raise/end of teacher's college prep celebration to pat ourselves on the back. It will include eating and then likely passing out from exhaustion.

I really should be working, so I'll go now.
Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum