Friday, January 14, 2005 at 3:17 p.m. |
For those of you who don't know, I'm attempting to land an on-air gig at SPACE here in Toronto. It's a sci-fi specialty channel that has been airing the precious seasons of Buffy and Angel that I've been going on about here since, well, forever.

To this end, I have to put together a video demo of myself. I have a couple of field reports from Humber that I did and I'm trying to put together another brief video spot in the early days of next week (help for which I've been begging people, but only Jer seems able or interested in helping me with). I need assistance to shoot something in Humber's basement and some advice on the script and delivery. The whole video will be no more than a minute in length.

I've also been pumping my sources for reviews about my reviews. I'm a fairly well respected reviewer in the comic book field and I know just about everyone as a result, so I hit up big names for some quotes and so far I've heard back from Mark Millar (The Ultimates, Wanted) who was generous enough to say this:

"Brian Wilkinson has one of the best reps in the online community. He's one of a handful of journalists respected by the pros and the fans alike. So much so, in fact, that when I sold my last property to Universal Pictures I had Brian's quote about the comic-book at the top of the intro-sheet.

He's a very personable guy and liked by all the people who read his site. The entertainment industry is full of crazy people, but Brian is thankfully one of the sane ones.

PS I don't mean any of this ;)"


That really made my day. Now I just need to wait for Bendis, Chris Claremont and Frank Tieri to respond. My intention is to put together a flashy brochure-style resume featuring a story sample, cover letter, resume, and quotes/pics from enough people in the biz to get me noticed. I may not look like a Much Music VJ, but I can rock them with a great presentation.

I'm going to include an article I wrote dealing with Buffy and Angel stars I met this summer, as well as quotes from comic pros and a few pics of myself and other facets. This isn't what they asked for, but presentation and creativity are two core aspects required for this job.

I'm also dumping in a normal resume and a copy of Convergence. I figure I likely don't have a shot at getting this job, but wouldn't it be great if I did? At the very least I hope to have fun trying.

The whole video (shooting and editing) should only take a day. Preparation of the other materials should take me another. I hope to have everything done and handed in by next Wednesday.

If you can help with script advice or by being a sounding board (or filming at Humber next week) that'd be great.

If not, well, you're terrible people.


On a completely unrelated note: I bought Resident Evil 4. It rocks so damn hardcore it's almost indecent.

Another unrelated note: Catherine is still amazing. She just had a performance review that she rocked... so much so they gave her a raise. I'm hoping this means I'll finally be getting an allowance from her.

Not likely, though.
Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum