Saturday, January 01, 2005 at 1:09 a.m. |
It's just a few minutes after twelve... and Catherine, Truffle and I have had another brilliant year together. Well, there may have been a few pitfalls along the way, but we're happy, healthy, and together. And that has to count for something.

A few people I have to thank for last year being so great:

Catherine, the love of my life. Without her, all struggles are meaningless.
My mom... who puts up with me, loves me, and is always proud of me.
My dad... for being a lovable grump. Without his support, I'd be in a world of hurt.
My brother... for being a dork. Seriously. Well, maybe I love him, too.

And all my friends and family. Aaron, Jer, Paul, Brody (and his lovely new daughter, Rory Marie), Chris, Pushee, Nick, Ron, Eric, Victoria, Jamie, Julian, Al, Eric, Patti, David, Peter, Rhonda, Jake, Frank, Lindsey, Dzuiba, Josh, Jamie and Nic...

The list goes on and on, doesn't it?

Most of all, this past year will always remind me the most of Rooter, the little degu that was taken from us far too soon. Those of you who have had pets know how attached you can get and the line that separates pet and familiy member becomes non-existent. That was one of the hardest times I've had yto go through in recent memory, but I do my best each and every day to honour her memory... sometimes by talking to her, but mostly through doing everything I can to make sure her sister, Truffle, enjoys her life to the absolute fullest.

Nobody ever said life was easy and there's a reason: it is the hardest thing any of us have to survive. It is also one of the most rewarding. Every day there are checks and balances to what is good and what is bad, but it all adds up. It all has meaning.

This was the year of the Buffy and Angel (which I now own all four seasons of), of Firefly, Astonishing X-Men, the final Lord of the Rings dvd, of school ending, of Catherine getting her job, of my endless frustrations in finding work. Of my publishing Convergence, a magazine I helped to create from scratch, and of Aaron and Jer, moving to Toronto to follow a similar path that I firmly believe will lead to greater heights. Of the trip to New York City which Catherine and I absolutely loved.

It was the year of Survivor: All Stars, 24, Felicity, Shaun of the Dead, Spider-Man 2, nearly a dozen trips to the zoo, of new friends Victoria and Jamie, and the beginning of the loan payments. It was also the year of change for Catherine's family... for my mom to have little Jake come into her life. For my 16-year-old niece to finally get a chance to live with my brother, for my dad to keep on being one of the best people I know.

This was a year of change, and while much more, and arguably greater, changes are to come, I know I'll never forget what I learned this year. This year, more than any other, I think I grew up.

For most of that, I have Catherine, Rooter, and Truffle to thank. They are my world, and have been for years. Though it's not always easy, we work hard to make things work well, to love each other more each day, and to do our best to make our future always brighter than our past.

I'm so grateful to have them in my life.

I wish all of you the same kind of success.

Before I get too sentimental, and before I head to bed to snuggle with my lovely girlfriend, I'll part as I'm likely to do... with a few lyrics from U2.

"I've conquered my past...
The future is here at last...
I stand at the entrance
To a new world I can see."

Hugs and kisses, 2004. Let's see if 2005 can raise the bar.
Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum