Wednesday, November 03, 2004 at 1:31 p.m. |
This one is for Occupational Health & Saftey magazine, or more specifically, a weekly newsletter that the same organization produces. There would also be the need for me to write one feature-length article of around 2500 words every six weeks, otherwise I need to be in charge of about six pages a week. It's not a ton of work, just stuff that requires constant attention. All in all it doesn't sound like a bad job, it's just not going to be laugh a minute. Well, so far that I can see. Still, maybe this will turn out to be a bit of a fun experience. I've learned never to rule anything out. If they want me, they'll likely get me and the best work that I can do as well.

The day: well, I left really early to make sure that I was there on time. I did too good of a job as I was half an hour early. So I sat in the lobby and read. It was nice, but the sun focused through the windows seems to have burned almost half my face.

The interview was done with two women, the editors of both a weekly newsletter and the magazine which is published eight times a year. It seems my job would be a contract position, lasting december to december, where I would be in charge of the weekly six-page newsletter including layout. I'd also have an editorial assistant for a couple of days a week.

That's just bizarre if you ask me.

The rate of pay, benefits, etc didn't enter the conversation and part of me is wishing that I had asked. But seeing as how I wasn't offered the job on the spot, I figured that might be a bit much. I almost never ask even though it's the question on top of the pile in my brain.

The interview went well. Discussed strengths, kinds of stories, approaches, office environment, etc. Things seemed to be fairly relaxed and easy going. The office is a bit stuffier than others I've been to, giving it an air almost of a banking office or something along those lines. Most magazines are a bit more cluttered and relaxed. It's funny, given that magazines have specific looks and polishes so people assume the places they're made would be the same.

So, I think it went well. The commute is roughly 40-50 minutes depending on traffic (passing a PetSmart along the way), the building is 9 stories in a semi-residential area. On the whole, it doesn't seem too bad. Keep in mind that I really don't want this job (I want the others I interviewed for) but a job is a job.

I'm not sure about this year-long contract though as I'm still considering applying for teacher's college, which would start in September. A year is a bit long to be tied to a place. I much prefer the old method of come and go as you please.

I figure I have a week or two to go before I find out from any of these places, so in the meantime it's back to normal life and the job search. Which I hate.

I hate a lot of things, though.

But not my birthday! That's coming up soon and Catherine has asked me for a list of things... the only problem is keeping it narrowed down. And reasonable. I don't know if she can do a 'world trip' at this point, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum