Tuesday, August 01, 2006 at 11:28 a.m. |
The road from Jinshanling to Simatai
I'm back.

It's a strange thing to be back. I'd almost say it's more disorienting than flying to China in the first place. Everything looks the same as it did before, but it's all colored differently. It's like going away to university then coming home for the first time. It's still home, but the main difference is that you're not the same person you used to be.

My sleeping patterns are still a bit off. I'm used to being twelve hours behind. As I write this at work, it's 11:26am, but my brain is insisting that it's 11:26pm.

The first night we slept in our old bed and both Catherine woke up at different times and didn't know where we were. This never happened in China, but when I wake up now, I'm thrown off.

Still, I like my bed much better than anything over there. It's like sleeping on a cloud.

Being back at work isn't much fun, either. The job is the same plus a few wrinkles I have to iron out from my time away. My new assistant is an ass. I got up to talk to Nate at one point and my new assistant walked over to my desk, unpinned my calendar, and then put it up at his own desk. It says things on there like 'Dad's birthday' and 'Concert with Catherine.'

I said "dude, why did you take my calendar?" He grinned and shrugged. Twit.

I can't shake China. The fatigue, the wonder. I knew I'd be back here during the trip, but it seemed like such a remote place. Now as I ride the subway, I think back to times in China when I was imagining myself back on the Toronto subway.

I think I'm a bit more sad for being back. I was ready to leave and had an amazing time there, but part of me wishes I had a new reality to return to. It's coming, less than two months off, but things just aren't the same.

And it's not just because I can swear in Chinese now.

David is still there for another week, then we'll meet him at the airport here on Monday. If I was feeling out of it after three weeks, I can only imagine how he'll feel since he's been gone for 14 month
Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum