Thursday, August 17, 2006 at 11:16 a.m. |
Brian's hogGetting around China is fun, so long as you do it properly. Our third day in Yangshou, we rented mini-motorcycles and I think I looked damn impressive on that hog. Finally, I can join the ranks of my father, brother, and uncle with my ferocious beast.

Okay, I was worried I was going to break the damn thing the whole time or run the battery out. Almost did, too.

Today is about the end of the Great Wall trip we had, possibly one of the best experiences of my entire life. That's a pretty big statement, but it was something I will never forget.

To try to describe something like the Great Wall to someone who hasn't been there is impossible. For many, including myself pre-trip, it was just a very, very long wall. Who would want to go visit a wall?

The answer is that everyone should do it, but only the way Catherine, David and myself did. Avoid the commercial and rebuilt sections that are overwhelmed by tourists, stalls, and markets. Instead, thanks to my Uncle Paul, we stayed overnight on an unrestored tower in Jinshanling along with two Americans, Mike and Naiella.

We woke at 5am the next day and made a 10km trek along the unrestored section, passing fewer than 10 people, until we arrived at the next town, Simatai.

The final leg involved crossing a long suspension bridge, but you had no choice, as David discusses in this video:



After that, we went by Flying Fox. I figured out much later that 'Flying Fox' is the name of a zipline that takes you back across the river we had just crossed and down to a boat. From there, they drop you off just shy of the parking lot where our driver was passed out and waiting for us. Catherine snapped photos of David going but refused to go herself, so Mike and Naiella helped her down the hill with her bags.

My trip down the zip got the video treatment:



Anyone going to China should do the trip to the Great Wall that we did. If you want the info, let me know and I'll be all too happy to share it with you.

For now, I'm getting back to work, though I feel absolutely horrible. I'm brutally sick and Catherine isn't here to take care of me.

14 actual days at work left.
Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum