Friday, October 22, 2004 at 3:02 p.m. |
Are few and far between. But, as Jer and Paul can attest to on at least one insane occasion, I do seem to have large quantities of horseshoes up my ass.

What am I referring to?

Well, I went to that god-awful job doing eBay listings yet again today. I'll readily admit it's boring and terrible work, especially for $9 an hour sitting next to a dog that smells like evil itself (though he's not a bad little fella) but when you need money you shut up and do it or go broke and ask your parents for money.

I don't wanna.

So, after an extensive amount of work retooling my resume and preparing for another wave of job application bliss, Catherine and I came across a listing for an editorial assistant for Hub: Digital Living and Total Gamer magazine. Both are free publications, Hub being available across Toronto and Total Gamer being the 24-page publication that Blockbuster chains get each month.

I nearly crapped myself. Finally, a publication that I'd actually be worth a damn working for. How do you not get your hopes up?

Today when I got home, there was a message from the editor asking if we could set up an interview. I called him back in a fluster much like a teenage girl about to meet Leonardo DiCaprio or something, and did my best to collect myself.

I had energy, enthusiasm, and only one blunder. He asked if I'd read the magazine which I had, but I assumed they had to be bought. See, I hadn't thought terribly much about the market for these magazines and as soon as he explained they were free and where they were available from I smacked my forehead because I did, of course, know this but in my eagerness totally forgot.

Hopefully my talking about video game knowledge, renting games, and my enthusiasm for working there (I told him I was quite excited to see my listing, then I showed it to Catherine who didn't seem as impressed... he thought that was funny). I want to avoid sucking up, but I know part of what got Catherine her job was that she was genuinely interested in working there. I said something along the same lines: "It's rare that you find a job that not only matches your skills but fits into your interests as well."

I tried not to get into too much detail, and quickly ran over what my resume said to refresh his memory (at his request). Years at CXF, writing reviews (which he mentioned would be a large component), and where I recently had internships.

Like a kid after his first date, I'm going ever every detail and cringing at what a dork I must have looked like. I can't help it, though, this would be a fantastic job to start my career with. It's understandable that I'd be nervous and excited. I don't think I've blown it (hopefully far from it) but I need to make sure to bring my 'A' game to the table next week.

That means research, research, research.

I'm screwed, aren't I? Interview is next Friday... one week 'till Judgement Day.
Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum