Friday, February 04, 2005 at 11:12 a.m. |
As most of you know, I met with the Toronto Tonight host about a week and a half back (jeez, nearly two now) about a possible career in television. The intention at the time was to get advice for my SPACE pitch, but Ben wound up suggesting something else entirely.

"We have an associate producer job that's come open," he told me. "It entails watching the wires, gathering press releases, and then presenting them, along with any original ideas, to story meeetings each day. The rest of the day is meant to gather guests for the show, and maybe do a bit of tagline and editing with a video editor."

Needless to say, I kind of liked that idea. What' s more, Ben said that he thought I'd be really good at it.

This is the kind of encouragement a 'starving artist' such as myself needs when first trying to get something going. There's nothing definitive here, but it doesn't hurt.

Then Ben told me to retool my resume and send it to him. Now, Ben's name isn't the person on the contact information, but I took it to mean that he'd give me his stamp of approval and you can't do much better than that.

He asked me to have to him within two or three weeks.

So I sent it in on Wednesday, adding about 6 or 7 story ideas, nailing the concept of who the station was (thanks to Catherine for her help with everything), and waited patiently. While NOTHING is set in stone, this email reply I just got gives me a lot of hope for the future...

Hey Brian,

Zev and I looked at your resume. Ronke is the one doing the hiring for
this position...but it doesn't hurt that Zev and I are both impressed.
He'll tell her that. As I said, there's somebody already doing the job
on a temporary basis -- nothing's guaranteed for him, but
he is doing a very good job. But it definitely bodes well for the
future for you, even if things don't work out this second.

I'm not sure what I can add to your presentation. As Zev said, "This
is very smart." We get a lot of resumes. We rarely say that (if ever).
Great first page, great 'branded' look, and excellent last page. The
story ideas are great, but beyond that, you really nailed who we are
and why you'd fit.

I wish I could offer you a job right now. Can't. But keep in touch.
Ronke will be calling you soon to get you in for an interview.

All the best,



Ben Chin

Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum