Sunday, February 13, 2005 at 7:49 p.m. |
I love these calendars, I really do. Though I think I may be one of the few out there who do. Today, I bought one (featuring dogs) for Catherine purely so I could have my year-long online access back to the Uncle John's Bathroom Reader version. It was such a pleasant way to begin a day of being anchored to a computer, so I didn't want to pass it up again.

Here are a few highlights I've discovered so far:

"In 1946 the following ad appeared in several southern California newspapers: “Wanted: Congressman candidate with no previous political experience to defeat a man who has represented the district in the House for 10 years. Any young man, resident of district, preferably a veteran, fair education, may apply for the job.”

The ad had been placed by the Republican party. The young man who answered the ad was awarded the job and did in fact defeat incumbent Jerry Voorhis after a dirty campaign. So who kicked off his political career by replying to a want ad? Richard M. Nixon (born on this date in 1913)."

And another good one:

• In 2003 televangelist Jim Bakker paid a $3.7 million settlement for defrauding his followers. Lawyers got $2.5 million of it—and each victim got $6.54.

• In a 2003 settlement between Sears and customers with improperly done wheel balancing, lawyers got $2.45 million—and customers got $2.50 per tire.

• When a bank settled a lawsuit over improper interest charges, the lawyers got $8.5 million. Each bank customer got less that $10...and then had to pay the bank $91 to reimburse its court fees.

And finally (for today at least):

"In 1990, 14-year-old Lisa Reid went blind as the result of a brain tumor. The doctors told her it was permanent. Then one night about 10 years later, she bent down to kiss her guide dog goodnight and accidentally smacked her head on a coffee table. Amazingly, when she woke up the next morning, 80 percent of the vision in her left eye had been restored. The first thing she did: telephoned her mother and read her the health warning on a packet of cigarettes."

Other than that, I had a job interview last week that either went really well or I botched completely. I've decided there's no such thing as in between seeing as how you either get the job or you don't.

Catherine and I are enjoying an extended 'Valentine's Day Weekend' with trips for breakfast, gonig to a movie (Million Dollar Baby), a proper dinner on Tuesday night followed by a performance of Mamma Mia.

Personally, I think it's fantastic that after 5 1/2 years of being together that she and I still go out on dates. She's gotta be the most romantic person I know (after myself of course).

PS. This weekend Josh is coming to Toronto to hang out. I'm putting out the call now for Paul, Jamie, Nic, and whomever else is interested to take a little trip into this damn city for a good time.

Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum