Wednesday, July 05, 2006 at 2:33 p.m. |
party pooperNo matter where I go or what I do, I seem to wind up talking about poop. Degu poop, poop talk with co-workers, and now I've even discussed it with a Sears optician.

Last week I got new glasses for the first time in years. Though they look great, they were sliding down my nose often enough that I went back in on Monday with Catherine to get them adjusted. A very nice Indian lady was there to help out and she laughs at all my jokes, though she clearly has limited understanding of English.

"You are good with the words," she said during our first meeting.

This time, shortly after her assistant/daughter returned to the store, she and I were discussing my upcoming trip to China. I told her I had mastered the language already which consists of talking slowly and loudly while gesturing wildly with my arms. She thought this was amusing and while I was joking, I assume this communication mode will come into play sooner than I think.

I told her that I was going to have a good time and that over there, I was exotic and looking forward to being regarded as so. She said not to get into trouble and I told jokingly told her not to be a party pooper.

"A what?" she asked me.

"You know, someone who stops the party from being fun. You're having a good time and someone ruins it," I said.

"Oh," she replied. Still looking confused. I decided to help her out by breaking it down.

"You know, it's two words. 'Party' and, well, 'poop,'" I said.

"Poop?" she asked, clearly not understanding. At this point I was trying to get my point across without using words like 'shit' as then it becomes quite disgusting rather than just an everyday phrase.

At this point, her assistant/daughter looks at her and chimes in. "Poo poo," she says, laughing. The woman's eyes lit up with understanding as she happily repeated "Poo poo!"

Relieved, I continued to explain. "Yes! You're having fun and then someone comes and poo poos. And you look and see the poo poo, so then the party is over."

"I get it!" she says, laughing. "That's a good one. Party pooper. I will remember that."

God help the Chinese when I get over there.

27 actual days at work left.
Posted by Parallel

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »

6:17 p.m.  
Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum