Friday, July 07, 2006 at 6:35 p.m. |
goneThis was going to be a post of tearful and drawn-out goodbyes as Catherine and I board a plane tomorrow morning at 9:45am for a three week trip to China. Then I thought about it and realized that I'm only going on vacation, not moving away.

Despite this, it became quite apparent how deep and thorough my connection to this place is as the week went on and I informed countless people of my intinerary. You'd think that I was moving away, quitting a job, or having some other massive event happen in my life, but I'm just going on vacation.

Maybe it was my mother. She's very concerned and emotional about the whole thing which I love and appreciate about her. Aaron wrote last night to say that he wanted to see me again before I go, not realizing that my departure was much sooner than he thought.

I called my dad, saw my uncle, talked to people at karate, and many more people at work. All of whom were genuinely interested in where I was going and what I was doing.

It felt good. Still does.

In fact, it leaves me feeling that no matter what else happens on this trip that I left everything in the best shape I could. I went above and beyond for work and though today is Sandy's last day, which is sad in of itself, she's also doing me a huge favor by coming in during the evenings to do work and ensure that I have a job to come back to.

I left lots of instructions for my mom who will be apartment-sitting and wrote a three page manual for Catherine's parents about caring for Truffle. I think I've done everything I can.

Now I don't want to go. Nah, I do, but this is an experience that I've never had. No one I know, except for David, has gone on a trip like this. At least on the bright side, over there, I'm exotic.

I hope to find internet access over there so I'll pick up email and do a bit of blogging.

Here we go.

Deep breath.

And just like Keyser Sose... I'm gone.
Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum