Tuesday, July 05, 2005 at 11:29 a.m. |
Jeff Gaulin's journalism website is both a blessing and a curse. It's great because it's an awesome resource for journalists to find new jobs, start careers, and see what kinds of companies are out there.

It's also evil because it's a bit of tease.

I must admit that the majority of my journalism related jobs have come from postings on Jeff Gaulin, but it is by no means at all a guarantee. Experience, skill, and ability are not valuable currency in my field so much as networking.

Still, every now and then you manage to slip through the cracks. Last Thursday before Catherine and I headed out on a wonderfully romantic weekend to Niagara Falls (she slaughtered me at mini-golf), I sent out 7 resumes in the hopes of finding something better than this awful job I have now.

One of them was Kaboose.com, an internet portal designed for kids ages 4-15. It has a massive amount of content, and my role there would be to write new articles every day to post on the site. It's a lot to do, but according to the woman I had a forty-minute phone interview with last night, I can throw a stone and write about what it hits.

That's some nice flexibility.

Kaboose is growing and already gets about 6.5 million hits a month with no advertising. It's one of the top ten internet destinations for kids. All of this ads up to me wanting to be a part of that, if only because it pays 17k more a year than this place.

And why am I so eager to leave? Well, they've given me my ex-coworkers workload and often talk openly about moving my entire job to their India office and having me "oversee" what's left. Very much not my job description, and very much not what I want to do with my life.

The interview proper is today at 3:30, so I arrived here early to meet my deadlines for the day. I've almost got all of my work for the day done (it's 11:34am) and I plan to leave at 2.

In short, I'm tired, I'm excited, I'm nervous, and I'm getting the hell out of here no matter what. If it isn't Kaboose, it's something else VERY soon.

I prefer to leave on my own terms.
Posted by Parallel

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum